The role of a software test engineer is to coordinate the process for analyzing software programs. This process will involve creating and implementing testing methods, recording the test results, and providing recommendations to improve software programs based on the results. Responsibilities
- Design test plans, procedures, scenarios, and scripts to accurately assess new products or software updates according to customer requirements and company policies.
- Develop a testing protocol for various aspects, such as usability, database impact, error and bug finding, regression testing, and implementation scenarios.
- Identify, analyze and create detailed records of problems that appear during testing, such as software defects, bugs, functionality issues, and output errors, and work directly with software developers to find solutions and develop retesting procedures.
- Track problems, resolutions, and bug fixes throughout testing and create a comprehensive database of defects and successful mitigation techniques.
- Create detailed, step-by-step documentation of test procedures for each phase or project as needed to ensure replicability, compliance with standards, and growth of the company knowledge base.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with test personnel, users, developers, and clients to facilitate quick resolution of problems and accurate documentation of successes.
- Provide frequent feedback to developers, including recommendations for improvements, evaluation of problems, potential solutions, and discussion of further test requirements.
- Design and implement automated testing tools when possible, and update tools as needed to ensure currency and accuracy
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, information technology, computer science, or similar field
- Minimum four years of relevant work experience
- Excellent time-management skills and commitment to meet deadlines
- Proficiency with database technology (e.g. Oracle, .Net, SQL) and scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash)
- Well-rounded experience with multiple operating systems, virtualization technologies, and test environments